Fix for Python library path problem

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Wed Sep 27 22:16:10 UTC 2017

Yo Eric!

On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 17:36:56 -0400
"Eric S. Raymond" <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:

> Gary E. Miller via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:
> > Yo Eric!
> >
> > On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 16:43:54 -0400

> > > Explain "the PYTHONPATH issue", please.
> >
> > I just installed git head.  No PYTHONPATH:
> >
> > spidey ntpsec # ntpq -up
> > ntpq: can't find Python NTP library.
> > No module named 'ntp'
>
> What is on your sys.path?

On a simple RasPi gentoo 3.4:

pi3 etc # python
Python 3.4.5 (default, May  3 2017, 05:22:30)
[GCC 5.4.0] on linux
>>> import sys
>>> sys.path
['', '/usr/local/lib/python3.4/site-packages/ntp', '/usr/lib/python34.zip', '/usr/lib/python3.4', '/usr/lib/python3.4/plat-linux', '/usr/lib/python3.4/lib-dynload', '/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages']

> Looks like waf is installing to the wrong
> place.

It installed in the right place:

pi3 etc # ls /usr/local/lib/python3.4/site-packages/
ntp

> You should do an install with --destdir=/tmp/ntp to see what
kkknstallation path it's generating.

Works perfectly:

pi3 ntpsec # ls /tmp/ntp/usr/local/lib/python3.4/site-packages/ntp/
agentx.py   __init__.py  ntpc.cpython-34m.so  __pycache__   util.py
control.py  magic.py     packet.py            statfiles.py  version.py

> > This is why all the commits that ripped out PYTHONPATH stuff need
> > to be reverted.
>
> Please go have that argument with Fred, not me.  We'll do whatever
> fixes you two can agree on.

We all already agreed we preferred PYTHONPATH to go away, but the
replacement needs to actually work.

I mainly brought up PYTHONPATH as it shows what remains to be fixed, and
how we used to handle the issue.  We can always go back to the old
soution that worked, until we find a better way.

Right now, the NTPsec install is broken, and needs a fixed.

What we see that pip does, is edit the sys.path to include the
location an egg is installed.  That looks to me like a method
to go forward with.