Fix for Python library path problem

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Wed Sep 27 23:03:06 UTC 2017

Yo Fred!

On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 15:51:25 -0700 (PDT)
Fred Wright via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Sep 2017, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
> >
> > What we see that pip does, is edit the sys.path to include the
> > location an egg is installed.  That looks to me like a method
> > to go forward with.
>
> That sounds plausible, but we need to figure out how it does that.
> It's not just about "editing" sys.path.  Although the latter is just
> a Python list which can be modified in the usual ways at runtime, pip
> seems to be setting up something that gets processed by Python at its
> startup time to effectively augment sys.path *persistently*, without
> any action on the part of the program being run.

Yup, I overly summmarized the issue as I'm with you still learning this
arcane area.

> I'll try to figure this out, but the fact that I don't see any "egg
> stuff" in any Linux sys.path here makes it harder.

Neither did I, until I used pip to install some eggs.

I'm guessing that are many other ways.

  It only matters
> for Linux, since get_python_lib() returns FHS-compliant results on
> *BSD, and on OSX the paths are so completely different that FHS
> doesn't apply.

Uh, lost me.  macOS is very much FHS compliant.

When I run NTPsec on macOS I export PYTHONPATH.

And AFAIK, NTPsec is now, once again, installing in the proper location
on all OS.  I no longer see an issue here.