Our last-minute mess

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Wed Sep 27 11:39:17 UTC 2017

> > I'd like to hear from the senior devs (and anyone else with something
> > intelligent to say!) on this.
>
> You need a steering committee to represent the customers on things like this.

Good idea. I'll keep that in mind as we get more customers.

> I didn't find enough info in the wiki page to enlighten me.  I get the
> general idea, but I don't know the tag that describes out software.  Is it
> real system software?  What about devel mode?

It's what FHS consider "non-essential system software" - needs to run as root
at boot but is not required for single-user recovery mode.  I couldn't find a
reference to "devel mode" in the FHS spec, so I can't answer that question.

> Distros aren't going to use our install script.  They don't want to install
> stuff, they want to package it up in a .deb or .rpm or whatever.  How do we
> get them the info they need in a format they can use?

That's what the packaging/ directory is for.  It's supposed to contain both
meta data examples and documentation that is guidance for packagers.

> What are the plans for splitting out the python stuff?  Do most distros
> include Python in their basic package?

Python is effectively universal at this point.

The rational partitioning is probaly (1) core daemon alone, (2) ntpq + ntpmon,
(3) everything else.