Our last-minute mess

Mark Atwood fallenpegasus at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 18:47:43 UTC 2017

My inclination is to keep his patch, document the lack of FHS compliance,
and roadmap a fix to get_python_lib, possibly by nudging the WAF or python
communities to write it.

And we again specifically thank Fred for his patch.

..m

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 4:39 AM Eric S. Raymond via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>
wrote:

> Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net>:
> >
> > > I'd like to hear from the senior devs (and anyone else with something
> > > intelligent to say!) on this.
> >
> > You need a steering committee to represent the customers on things like
> this.
>
> Good idea. I'll keep that in mind as we get more customers.
>
> > I didn't find enough info in the wiki page to enlighten me.  I get the
> > general idea, but I don't know the tag that describes out software.  Is
> it
> > real system software?  What about devel mode?
>
> It's what FHS consider "non-essential system software" - needs to run as
> root
> at boot but is not required for single-user recovery mode.  I couldn't
> find a
> reference to "devel mode" in the FHS spec, so I can't answer that question.
>
> > Distros aren't going to use our install script.  They don't want to
> install
> > stuff, they want to package it up in a .deb or .rpm or whatever.  How do
> we
> > get them the info they need in a format they can use?
>
> That's what the packaging/ directory is for.  It's supposed to contain both
> meta data examples and documentation that is guidance for packagers.
>
> > What are the plans for splitting out the python stuff?  Do most distros
> > include Python in their basic package?
>
> Python is effectively universal at this point.
>
> The rational partitioning is probaly (1) core daemon alone, (2) ntpq +
> ntpmon,
> (3) everything else.
> --
>
> My work is funded by the Internet Civil Engineering Institute:
> https://icei.org
> Please visit their site and donate: the civilization you save might be
> your own.

Mark Atwood
http://about.me/markatwood
+1-206-604-2198 Mobile & Signal