Something is buggy with iburst...

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Sat May 13 13:02:08 UTC 2017

Achim Gratz via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:
> Achim Gratz via devel writes:
> > Last contacted + headway gives 8192s or poll=13?  What is hpoll?  The
> > other raspPi that doesn't have that problem (at the moment anyway, has
> > this as 16s and correspondingly ppoll=hpoll=4 as configured.
>
> I've had to restart some boxes after system updates and have finally
> caught it happen: The client in question has received a kiss-o'-death
> packet "rate exceeded" from the server.  How to reset this and even
> better what should I configure to prevent it from happening in the first
> place?
>
> I still think there must be some bug somewhere that either makes the
> client send too many packets or the server sending that KOD too early.

Oho. This smells to me like something might have come unstuck during
the packet-machine refactor.

Daniel, could some bug in KOD-handling plausibly have crept in?

Please consider contributing to my Patreon page at https://www.patreon.com/esr
so I can keep the invisible wheels of the Internet turning. Give generously -
the civilization you save might be your own.