Something is buggy with iburst...

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat May 13 08:53:14 UTC 2017

devel at ntpsec.org said:
> I've had to restart some boxes after system updates and have finally caught
> it happen: The client in question has received a kiss-o'-death packet "rate
> exceeded" from the server.  How to reset this and even better what should I
> configure to prevent it from happening in the first place?

Do you have rawstats enabled on the client?  Is there more then one client?

Are the servers yours too, or something out on the net?

The default rate-limit is supposed to work with an iburst.  It might complain
if you restart a server too rapidly - the server will still remember the
previous iburst when the new one comes along.

You can also get in troubles if you are going through a NAT box and have
several servers using the pool that get restarted at the same time.  They get
the same answers from the DNS and the server sees several ibursts at the same
time when NAT maps them all to the same IP Address.