Information lost when switching to buildprep

Jason Azze jason at azze.org
Wed Mar 15 15:01:31 UTC 2017

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 10:04 AM, Eric S. Raymond <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:

> It is now.  Also I've broken up the main sequence into daemon, tools, and
> ntpviz components.  If you want to add options to suppress any of these,
> feel free.

This makes me happy. Gary and I had this IRC discussion yesterday.

<jasonium> On a freshly installed Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS server, buildprep
installs 215 packages once all of the dependencies are resolved.
<jasonium> 152 packages just to install fonts-liberation
<jasonium> That's one hell of a font.
<gemiller> Liberation fonts are one not so big package on Gentoo, your
Ubuntu musta pulled in a ton of 'dependencies'.  Not a surprise
<gemiller> jasonium: wass liberation your first unicode and scalable
font to install?
<jasonium> I suspect so. Ubuntu Server is very trim when first
installed. No need for fonts.
<gemiller> The Liberation prolly pulled in 1/2 of X