Future of 32 bit time_t?

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Tue Mar 14 02:34:49 UTC 2017

> I think the main issue is code simplification and clarity.
>
> Plan A: get rid of time64_t
> Plan B: convert all internal use of time_t to time64_t
>
> If the world is going to shift to a 64 bit time_t soon enough, then Plan A
> make sense.  We get clean code and it will just keep working when 2038
> happens.
>
> We will have to figure out how to handle %ld vs %d in printf format strings.
>
> Plan B would require conversions between time_t and time64_t at all
> system/library calls.  That's probably just a simple wrapper for the calls
> used often enough and a dummy variable and few lines of code for the others.

I think we can hang with Plan A for now.  That judgment might have to change
in 10 years if we see any significant number of 32-bit systems in our target
range, but *by then* I'm not expecting that.

Please consider contributing to my Patreon page at https://www.patreon.com/esr
so I can keep the invisible wheels of the Internet turning. Give generously -
the civilization you save might be your own.