Testing

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Thu Dec 7 04:57:19 UTC 2017

> Are you carefully monitoring things?  Do you look at the graphs every day?

Not every day.  I do often have ntpmons watching one pr more of them.

> What configurations are you testing?  Pool?  PPS?  Is your network connection
> flakey?  (WiFi can be a good test case.)

Yes to the first two, no to the latter.

> > I am highly productive and my error rate is very low.
>
> Your typo rate is pretty high too.  Why should I be confident that you don't
> make similar errors when editing code?

Sometimes I do.  Compiler tends to catch those, then I fix them.
Typos and all, though, I push bad code to the master very seldom.
You caught a bug of mine once, when I initialized a boolean incorrectly,
but can you remember any other time you did?

If you take a look at the comments in my code you'll see I trypo much
less than I do in my change comments.  I review those more carefully.
I review code more carefully than that.