Testing

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Dec 7 09:11:16 UTC 2017

>> How many of your changes need to actually hit the repo in less than 24
hours?
> Depends on whether you think rapidly clearing bugs is important.  I do.

Why is that important?  My 24 hours was a guess at the long tail.  Who is
going to notice if you fix a bug but it doesn't appear in HEAD until one of
several other people respond and poke a button on a web form?  It may take
another mailing list to help things along.

Anybody who wants to test before a fix gets merged can do something like git
pull <stuff from email>  Right?

> I'm really, really reluctant to consent to a policy that increases my
> process friction.  My experiences with the consequences of that kind of
> choice have never been positive.

How important is your individual way of doing things?  Would you be willing
to tolerate some inconvenience if that made the rest of us more productive?

--------

I'm not necessarily supporting the somebody-else-approve suggestion, just
trying to explore the space of how to do things.