Something is buggy with maxpoll...

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Tue Apr 25 05:52:50 UTC 2017

Gary E. Miller writes:
> Unable to duplicate.  Here is what I did:
>
> 1. server has a peer, minpoll=maxpoll=3

I've not explicitly set minpoll.

> 2. server has today's git head.

I've just put the newest version on all four boxen.  I should perhaps
mention that the problem has started occuring once I've started
monitoring all other machines on the network (plus a handful of
stratum-1 from outside) from each of these.  They are all connected to
the same switch (I've tried to connect one of these directly to my
router to see if it makes a difference and it did not).  This behaviour
makes it very difficult to restart the ntpd on any of these, since I
will often have to restart the ntpd on another one and then go back and
see if the others are still working correctly.

> 8. poll as shown in ntpmon and ntpq staed always at 32.

The displayed poll value never changes.  But the actual poll interval
obviously gets much longer than what was set.  I've seen over 50 minutes
without a poll (and the reach flags stay at their prvious value instead
of shifting out every 16 seconds as they should).  This smells like an
unitialised variable somewhere that then picks up a random value…

Regards,
Achim.