Something is buggy with maxpoll...

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Mon Apr 24 23:52:47 UTC 2017

Yo Achim!

On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 22:25:05 +0200
Achim Gratz <Stromeko at nexgo.de> wrote:

> Something is seriously wrong with the maxpoll handling, I'm not sure
> if that's a new issue or when it was introduced.  I've set my local
> NTP servers to monitor each other at maxpoll=4 (16s).  If one of those
> servers doesn't respond at the regular poll interval (for instance
> when I restart the server at that moment) it looks like the poll
> interval changes to at least 1024s and never recovers back to the
> actual maxpoll setting.

Unable to duplicate.  Here is what I did:

1. server has a peer, minpoll=maxpoll=3

2. server has today's git head.

2. peer has reach of 377.

3. turn off ntpd on the peer.

4. wait for reach to that peer to be 0.

5. wait some more.

6. turn on ntpd on peer.

7. reach returns to 377.

8. poll as shown in ntpmon and ntpq staed always at 32.