ntpviz - Don't plot a line during data absence

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Mon Oct 24 18:05:36 UTC 2016

Yo Hal!

On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 23:52:59 -0700
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> > Sure.  You do your thing, I do mine.  Mine is a lot simpler for a
> > newbie to setup, one line in a crontab:
>
> Don't forget to setup your web server.  (and keep it secure)

But that is the same effort whetehr on a client or a cluster master.

> > You gotta admit you are not our majority target audience.  :-)
>
> Well, neither are you.

Right, but I try to understand them.

> If you are targeting the majority, I think you need to setup a system
> using the pool so you will have more typical data to work with.

Or convince the majority not to use the pool.

> > In 2016, most screen are 1288x768, or smaller.
>
> That's probably correct for laptops.  My old/dead one was 1280x800.
> My new one is 1366x768.

Yeah, my typo, I meant 1366x768.  Statcounter says that 1366x768 is 41%
of web users.  1024x768 is another 24%.  Those two are 66% of users.

> HD TV is 1920 x 1080.  That's a sweet spot in the price/quality
> space.  I got mine a couple of years ago when my old tube display
> died.  I should have done it much earlier.  I think I paid $150.
> Frys has some for under $100.

But under 15% of people use them.  So not worthy of a default.

> I think there are enough people with bigger displays that an option
> to target for them would see a lot of use.

You are 1920x1080.  What plot size, in the ntpviz index.html, seen
in your browser, works best for you?