ntpviz - Don't plot a line during data absence

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Sun Oct 23 21:04:51 UTC 2016

Yo Hal!

On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 13:39:32 -0700
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> gem at rellim.com said:
> >> If the polling interval is X, there may be up to 8X gaps in
> >> peerstats.
> > Ah, lost me.  Say what?
>
> Look at the time differences between samples for an IP Address in
> peerstats.
>
> If the polling interval is X, there will be a line in rawstats for
> each packet received.  If none are lost, the spacing will be X.

Where X is by default 64 sec, and by default can be ramped up to 1024
sec.

So the current line break hack does not plot a line longer than 1024
sec.  Lines of 1024 sec are plotted.  That will not work for folks
setting maxpoll over 1024 sec.

> There is a filter between the raw packets and the ones that come out
> of peerstats.  It has a buffer of the last 8 samples.  It only uses
> the one with the lowest round trip time.  So if you get 8 samples in
> a row with increasing RTT, the last 7 will get saved until the a new
> sample bumps the first one out of the buffer.

Why do we care?   Don't we still get a sample, of some sort, every X?

> Refclocks samples always get through.  I assume it takes new samples
> when the RTT is equal but there might be a simple special case test.

Aren't reclocks local?  Thus no rtt?

Is there anything to try in real plots.