ntpq: cruft/doc

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Sun Oct 16 19:14:19 UTC 2016

> esr at thyrsus.com said:
> > About CSV, while I'm not opposed to it we have a practice guideline to use
> > JSON for machine-parseable output. One reason is that JSON is better at
> > being self-describing - the field names give you clues that CSV doesn't.
>
> CSV is readable by eye without a lot of effort.  JSON is close to encrypted.

Say *what*?  Uh, I can only conjecture that you don't have a lot of actual
experience with JSON.

> Many CSV files have a comment line on top with the field names.

Good idea. Gonna be *mandatory* for anybody generating CSV in our
pond.  Also strict conformance to RFC4180, at pain of my extreme
displeasure. Data formats that aren't well-standardized and
self-describing give me hives - they always, always, *always* cause
trouble down the road.