eport from the 20160501 F2

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu May 5 17:24:41 UTC 2016

[Context is "simple NTP broadcast client"]

> The primary target audience is IoT devices. Expect nothing impressive in
> terms of timekeeping precision.

I like the idea of a small/simple implementation.

There are 2 parts to a ntp client.  One is getting the time right.  The other
is calibrating the local crystal so that the time stays close(er).  Are you
planning to implement the drift?  Does the OS even support the idea?  (It's
not hard, but may take some double precision arithmetic.)

One of the advantages of all the complexity of ntpd is that you can monitor
and debug things.  The builtin server allows monitoring even without logging
anything on the target machine.

How are people going to monitor/debug IoT devices?

---------

Drift correction gets complicated in seriously low power environments.  The
trick is that there are usually two clocks used for timekeeping.  The normal
CPU clock is used while the CPU is powered up, but the RTC/TOY clock is used
when the CPU is powered off.  We probably need 2 drifts, one for each clock.
Our current code doesn't do this.  This may show up on phones before we see
it on IoT class devices.  Mumble.  I don't have a good answer.