Post-Penguicon

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Tue May 3 12:41:14 UTC 2016

Thank you everyone who showed up at Penguicon for making it a very
productive and pleasant experience.  Hanging out with the team members
and other friends of the project before the official meeting was as
productive as the meeting itself, and that meeting developed us a path
forward around some tricky issues.

Pursuant to the news that Autokey was cracked in 2012, one of the
decisions we made was to remove Autokey entirely. I executed on that almost
immediately, completely removing the code support and documentation.
That's 3KLOC gone, just about compensating for the increase in bulk
from using libsodium for crypto.

Another of our decisions was to have another FTF at Penguicon next year.
A major advantage of this venue was that it meant several friends of
the project for whom the opportunity cost of attending our FTF would
otherwise have been too high got to contribute, and contribute they
did.

It would be better for Mark to explain our other decisions, as none
of those have been executed yet and he probably wants to set priorities.

There's a truism that the road to Hell is often paved with good intentions.
The corollary is that evil is best known not by its motives but by its
*methods*.