util/monitoring/ntploop{stat,watch}

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Mon Mar 28 20:28:09 UTC 2016

> fallenpegasus at gmail.com said:
> > Sanjeev, do you know Python?  Would you like to take a crack at
> > re-implementing loopstats in Python?
>
> Plan B would be to drop it.
>
> The first step would be to figure out what it does.  Probably the best
> approach would be to setup an old system to run it against and collect some
> data...
>
> I'm guessing that it roughly collects the same data that is in the loopstats
> log files, and then graphs it.

I just looked.  loopstats justs digests info out of the server into a logfile.
There's a tool called ntploopwatch that filters that raw data and makes graphs
through gnuplot.

>                               If so, the collecting part is redundant (and
> probably doesn't get the timing as accurate) so we should focus on the
> graphing.

Hm. I will be quite surprised if you are not right in both particulars here.

> That opens up a whole new can of worms which is worth a lot of
> thought and work: how can you tell how well your server is working?

Yes, that is a large and important question that is different from "how
can we tell our changes haven't broken anything".  It sdeserves tacking
after 1.0.