ntp.conf snippets in etc

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Sun Jun 12 08:45:30 UTC 2016

Eric S. Raymond writes:
> Some details aren't settled yet.  Mark wants to go to an Apache-style
> conf.d setup where all snippets in a specified directory are
> interpeted, but I'd like us to prove the general concept before I try
> getting cute with the scanner code.

Until that happens we could add a script that collects these snippets
into a single ntp.conf file instead.

> Please review.  If you have a snippet you think is generally useful
> enough to add, let's see it.

I'm not sure about that 64s part in the iburst explanatation.  My
understanding is that ntpd start up with minpoll=3, so the requests to a
server would initially be 8s apart and then growing to whatever maxpoll
is set to.  With iburst you start out with 2s spaced requests, so
essentially minpoll=1, which you can't set otherwise anymore (minpoll is
limited to at least 3 IIRC).

Proposal: