question about upgrading from Classic to NTPsec (packaging issue)

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Tue Jul 5 20:16:44 UTC 2016

Yo John!

On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 16:00:39 -0400
"John D. Bell" <JDB at systemsartisans.com> wrote:

>     The executables ended up in /usr/sbin (except for ntpstat, which
> ended up in /usr/bin).  Drift file in /var/lib/ntp/drift; statistics
> in /var/log/ntpstats.  Main config file in /etc/ntp.conf, other
> bits'n'bobs of config in other places in /etc.  :P  ISTR that if you
> download the Classic source code from ntp.org, configure it with the
> defaults, then build and install it, the results do end up in
> the /usr/local hierarchy.  What a mess!

But a well documented mess.  That is basically consistent with the FHD
(Filesystem Hierarchy Standard).  Same old thing as the FSSTD, they just
changed the name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard

Some eople get grumpy if you fail to follow the standard.

>     I agree with Eric's previous recommendation to *not* install in a
> different place (to prevent error reports from a "mixed" install),
> but I'm leaning towards having NTPsec's initial RPM file put things
> into /usr/local,

Sort of conflicting.  Only distros are allowed to install into /usr.
User installed stuff is supposed to go in /usr/local/

So it the package come from NTPSec, it has to go in /usr/local.  But
when a distro repackages it they have to put it in /usr/

> and using the /etc/alternatives symlink trick to
> pick out the 'right' version.  And of course having an uninstall
> script which backs it all out, and undoes the symlink indirection.

/etc/alternatives is totally non-standard.  Better to replace the old
versions in /usr with links to /usr/local/.  Or, maybe instead a script
to hunt out older ntpd's.  A lot of programs do this, you find out when
your install is taking forever and the installer is searching all your
NFS shares. :-(