question about upgrading from Classic to NTPsec (packaging issue)

John D. Bell JDB at systemsartisans.com
Tue Jul 5 20:00:39 UTC 2016

Gary and Eric,

    I just installed the "ntp" and "ntpdate" packages on CentOS 6.6 from
the distribution's repo.  This is the arch on which I'm building the RPM,
because it was easy to spin up.

    The executables ended up in /usr/sbin (except for ntpstat, which ended
up in /usr/bin).  Drift file in /var/lib/ntp/drift; statistics in
/var/log/ntpstats.  Main config file in /etc/ntp.conf, other bits'n'bobs of
config in other places in /etc.  :P  ISTR that if you download the Classic
source code from ntp.org, configure it with the defaults, then build and
install it, the results do end up in the /usr/local hierarchy.  What a mess!

    I agree with Eric's previous recommendation to *not* install in a
different place (to prevent error reports from a "mixed" install), but I'm
leaning towards having NTPsec's initial RPM file put things into
/usr/local, and using the /etc/alternatives symlink trick to pick out the
'right' version.  And of course having an uninstall script which backs it
all out, and undoes the symlink indirection.

    Thoughts?

  - *John D. Bell*