question about upgrading from Classic to NTPsec (packaging issue)

John D. Bell JDB at systemsartisans.com
Tue Jul 5 20:35:53 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 4:16 PM, Gary E. Miller <gem at rellim.com> wrote:

> Yo John!

> Sort of conflicting.  Only distros are allowed to install into /usr.
> User installed stuff is supposed to go in /usr/local/
>
> So it the package come from NTPSec, it has to go in /usr/local.  But
> when a distro repackages it they have to put it in /usr/

OK.  Will package for /usr/local, and (try to) document how that could
be changed for the various distro's packaging teams.

> > and using the /etc/alternatives symlink trick to
> > pick out the 'right' version.  And of course having an uninstall
> > script which backs it all out, and undoes the symlink indirection.
>
> /etc/alternatives is totally non-standard.  Better to replace the old
> versions in /usr with links to /usr/local/.  Or, maybe instead a script
> to hunt out older ntpd's.  A lot of programs do this, you find out when
> your install is taking forever and the installer is searching all your
> NFS shares. :-(

I must have confabulated this with what I've observed on a Debian-
based distro (e.g., Ubuntu, which is what I run on my main laptop).
Sorry about that.  I think I'll have the installer check for existing
version(s)
in /usr/sbin and /usr/local, somehow preserve it
(tarball in /usr/local/ntp/old_version ?) and put symlinks in
/usr/*bin to point to the stuff in /usr/local.

Let me think about this some more.  Before I publish a final RPM, I'll
solicit more feedback from you all.

  - *John D. Bell*