stats directory is gone - now, how is logfile pruning done?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Aug 19 00:27:14 UTC 2016

esr at thyrsus.com said:
> This does, however, leave me with a question: How are we doing pruning of
> statfiles at this point?  I seem to recall someone who is not me working on
> this.  The facility, whatever it is, needs to be documented.

Whatever you do, make sure it's easy to get the no-prune option.

I suspect that's going to be a distro option and whatever you do will just be
an example.  Most people won't care about how well their clock is working as
long at it works well enough so they don't have to pay any attention to it.

Debian sets things up so that /etc/cron.daily/ntp
compresses things and only keeps the last week.
I don't know why they did it that way rather than letting logrotate do it.