stats directory is gone - now, how is logfile pruning done?

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Fri Aug 19 03:01:15 UTC 2016

Heads up, Mark!  Policy sanity check requested.

> esr at thyrsus.com said:
> > This does, however, leave me with a question: How are we doing pruning of
> > statfiles at this point?  I seem to recall someone who is not me working on
> > this.  The facility, whatever it is, needs to be documented.
>
> Whatever you do, make sure it's easy to get the no-prune option.
>
> I suspect that's going to be a distro option and whatever you do will just be
> an example.  Most people won't care about how well their clock is working as
> long at it works well enough so they don't have to pay any attention to it.
>
> Debian sets things up so that /etc/cron.daily/ntp
> compresses things and only keeps the last week.
> I don't know why they did it that way rather than letting logrotate do it.

OK, you've told me the important thing: the NTP suite is not historically
expected to do statfile pruning itself.

That's fine, then.  My decision: We won't try taking the job over from
the distros - I'm quite happy to let this be somebody else's problem.

OTOH. if someone pushes a well-documented and neatly-packaged solution
upstream to us (like, say, a logrotate recipe) we'll keep it in etc/
as an option for distro packagers.

If Mark has any larger-context reason to overrule this it won't bother
me any.  But I doubt he will.