Raspberry Pi HOWTO progress

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Tue Apr 26 23:59:59 UTC 2016

Gary E. Miller <gem at rellim.com>:
> And how many YEARS to get there?  Plus you needed to buy a soldering iron,
> solder, flux, solder sucker, etc.

Nah, I just borrowed Phil's. :-)

> Here is a nice HAT presoldered, $31:
>
> http://www.dx.com/p/add-on-gps-module-gps-hat-module-for-raspberry-pi-2-model-b-b-424254
> http://www.raspberrypiwiki.com/index.php/Raspberry_Pi_Add-On_GPS_HAT_Module

Hm, that's cheaper than the Adafruit HAT unsoldered.  I feel a
revision coming on.

> > > Irrelevant.  Probably wrong.
> >
> > You can argue this with Phil at Penguicon.
>
> Or argue with the guy mentioned above shipping it preassembled.

Who's in Taiwan, I'm guessing, and expecting he'll fly under regulatory
radar long enough to make a few bucks.  It's happened before.

> > > How to expand?
> >
> > There's an option for it in both configurators.
>
> Link?

Dunno how to give a link to a button in a GUI, sorry.

> > > Gack, this  only works AFTER you have pinged the pi!  It will not
> > > help you find the pi.
> >
> > I just shut down the Pi, booted it, and arp -a found the address
> > before I pinged it.
>
> Reassigned same old address?  Check the age.  Your laptop is not
> in promicuous mode.

Hm.  Can't tell. Maybe I should just drop everything but the .local method.

> > > Or compile it in the kernel, like a real man would do.
> >
> > We're trying to keep things simple, here.
>
> Yes, but no need to describe, mention the possiblity.

Ah. Will do.

> > >                                ^^^^^^  huh???
> >
> > Got me.  I don't know what that does either.  It's from <<NEVILL>>.
> > It'd be nice to add an explanation.  Perhaps Hal knows.
>
> Yuo don't want to prefer any random internet chimer, you prefer you local
> GPS.

OK, added.

> > > Ho about using the us pool?  Or local country pool??
> >
> > Config file was witten by a Brit.
>
> Then it shoulda used Brit chimers.  Or point to an extended tutorial
> elsewhere.

I'll take a recommendation.

> > > Talk about 'ntpq -p'.
> >
> > Suggested wording welcome.  I've barely ever used it.
>
> See the gpsd time keeping howto, or just refer to it.

On the TODO list