Raspberry Pi HOWTO progress

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Tue Apr 26 21:38:21 UTC 2016

Yo Eric!

On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 17:03:39 -0400
"Eric S. Raymond" <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:

> Unless called out here I just merged your changes,
>
> Gary E. Miller <gem at rellim.com>:
> > Don't do it!  How long did it take to get you to solder???
>
> Once I decided to learn it, all of about 15 minutes from a cold start.

And how many YEARS to get there?  Plus you needed to buy a soldering iron,
solder, flux, solder sucker, etc.

> My instructor allows how I got *good* at it quickly, too; I thank my
> Swiss-German clockmaker ancestors :-)

Can you ship Phil with every copy of the HOWTO?

> > Don't do it!  You can buy similar already assembled.
>
> Source?

Here is a nice HAT presoldered, $31:

http://www.dx.com/p/add-on-gps-module-gps-hat-module-for-raspberry-pi-2-model-b-b-424254
http://www.raspberrypiwiki.com/index.php/Raspberry_Pi_Add-On_GPS_HAT_Module

> > > (The device is shipped as parts almost certainly to evade a
> > > regulatory requirement for FCC conformance testing to RF emission
> > > standards, which is expensive and would have added to the unit
> > > cost.)
> >
> > Irrelevant.  Probably wrong.
>
> You can argue this with Phil at Penguicon.

Or argue with the guy mentioned above shipping it preassembled.

> > How to expand?
>
> There's an option for it in both configurators.

Link?

> > Gack, this  only works AFTER you have pinged the pi!  It will not
> > help you find the pi.
>
> I just shut down the Pi, booted it, and arp -a found the address
> before I pinged it.

Reassigned same old address?  Check the age.  Your laptop is not
in promicuous mode.

> > > In all versions, you force the driver to be loaded by
> > > editing /etc/modules to contain the line "pps-gpio".
> >
> > Or compile it in the kernel, like a real man would do.
>
> We're trying to keep things simple, here.

Yes, but no need to describe, mention the possiblity.

> > > # Internet time servers for sanity
> > > server 0.pool.ntp.org iburst prefer
> >                                ^^^^^^  huh???
>
> Got me.  I don't know what that does either.  It's from <<NEVILL>>.
> It'd be nice to add an explanation.  Perhaps Hal knows.

Yuo don't want to prefer any random internet chimer, you prefer you local
GPS.

> > Ho about using the us pool?  Or local country pool??
>
> Config file was witten by a Brit.

Then it shoulda used Brit chimers.  Or point to an extended tutorial
elsewhere.

> > Talk about 'ntpq -p'.
>
> Suggested wording welcome.  I've barely ever used it.

See the gpsd time keeping howto, or just refer to it.

> > Or do: # dmesg | tail
>
> I'd prefer not to.  dmesg tends to be a firehose, and cryptic to boot.

Thus the '| tail'.  The info you want will be right on the last line.