Raspberry Pi HOWTO progress

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Wed Apr 27 02:10:33 UTC 2016

Yo Eric!

On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 19:59:59 -0400
"Eric S. Raymond" <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:

> Hm, that's cheaper than the Adafruit HAT unsoldered.  I feel a
> revision coming on.

The list will get longer.

> > Or argue with the guy mentioned above shipping it preassembled.
>
> Who's in Taiwan, I'm guessing, and expecting he'll fly under
> regulatory radar long enough to make a few bucks.  It's happened
> before.

IMHO, since the HAT is not standalone, it can escape FCC certification
as a component part.  Just like some motherboards are not FCC'ed because
what matters is the case you put it in.

> > > There's an option for it in both configurators.
> >
> > Link?
>
> Dunno how to give a link to a button in a GUI, sorry.

I meant a link to someone's howto on how to do it.

> > > I just shut down the Pi, booted it, and arp -a found the address
> > > before I pinged it.
> >
> > Reassigned same old address?  Check the age.  Your laptop is not
> > in promicuous mode.
>
> Hm.  Can't tell. Maybe I should just drop everything but the .local
> method.

Easy to tell, just turn off your Pi, reboot the laptop, restart the
Pi, then look in the arp table.

My fave is to just look at the dhcpd logs.

You could also have the Pi do something like email its IP to you.

> > > Config file was witten by a Brit.
> >
> > Then it shoulda used Brit chimers.  Or point to an extended tutorial
> > elsewhere.
>
> I'll take a recommendation.

gpsd-time-service-howto.txt Section: === NTP performance tuning ===

> > > Suggested wording welcome.  I've barely ever used it.
> >
> > See the gpsd time keeping howto, or just refer to it.
>
> On the TODO list

Also here:

gpsd-time-service-howto.txt Section: === NTP performance tuning ===