GPSD Install Notes

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Thu Nov 16 22:01:42 UTC 2023

Yo Fred!

On Thu, 16 Nov 2023 09:01:16 -0700
Fred via users <users at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> per your request attached are my notes for ArchlinuxArm.

Thanks.  Our doc is asciidoc, not odf, but I'll fix that.

Some important details missing at the top.  No mention of the
distro you use, or the version.

No mention of the HAT you used.  Different HATs use different PPS pins
and different speeds.

"Boot via serial console:"

You are about the last person on earth to not just use the HDMI monitor.
Our doc assumes you know how to get root.  Have already added accounts,
updated, etc.

Did you need to change the kernel?  Or just nice to do?

Any reason to chooe picocom over minicom?

"Install PPS tools:"

Why did you not install the Arch pps-tools package?

Dodes 10-gpsd.rules exist before you install gpsd?  Part of Arch?

Personally, I never bother with udev rules.

/usr/local/sbin/gpsd -n -p -s 9600 /dev/gpsd0

Why the -p?  That is to solve problems you do not have.  No need to
force the speed, and it will be the wrong speed for some.