End of leap seconds is nigh

Hal Murray halmurray at sonic.net
Wed Nov 23 05:07:26 UTC 2022

Paul Theodoropoulos said:
> I'm curious what the implications are for us in the time 'business'.
> Obviously not much in the nearterm. 2038 will probably be the larger problem.

If we are lucky, we get to throw away various chunks of ugly code.

If we are unlucky, we get a negative leap second.

They don't go away until 2035 so we have 13 years to keep our fingers crossed.

It wouldn't surprise me if the current rules call for a negative leap second
before 2035 that they would rewrite the rules again to avoid it.