stratum one on pi 4?

Paul Theodoropoulos paul at anastrophe.com
Sat Sep 21 03:12:04 UTC 2019

On 9/20/2019 17:59 PM, Gary E. Miller via users wrote:
> Oh, not good.  You forgot "-n /dev/pps0".
I just had a look at the INSTALL docs on the release version, it says "If
you are on the RasPi with gpsd version 3.17, or above, /dev/pps0 can be
autodetected. and used for PPS if available." So that would explain why
gpsd works fine on my other two raspi's, without /dev/pps0 declared...
> 3.19 has been released.  3.19.1~dev is the current git.

The INSTALL file needs an update - it still talks about Debian Wheezy, and
refers to Debian Jessie as the current release. I'll see about sending in
updates.

I'm going to rebuild gpsd from release, maybe it actually is something
there...

...and rather than draw out the discussion, I downloaded the release
version, built it with identical scons options, and poof - instant SHM(0)
PPS output.

Oh well, go figure. I'd be surprised if this was a bug in that particular
git release - I'm suspecting that I may have had the UART settings gummed
up before building gpsd, and for some reason the built code couldn't grok
PPS - even though the gpsd -h output said it was enabled. Maybe.

Thanks for the help - as well thanks to Hal for his notes, too many sanity
checks is never enough.

--
Paul Theodoropoulos
www.anastrophe.com