Best practices question

Paul Theodoropoulos paul at anastrophe.com
Thu Jun 27 07:07:37 UTC 2019

On 6/26/2019 22:31 PM, Hal Murray wrote:
> I also worry about common mode problems.  Something like a big solar flare
> could take them all out.
Carrington event - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

We should all be worried about that. Way, way more than asteriods and
other far rarer but catastrophic events.

A Carrington event today would likely plunge 2/3rds of the earth's
population into famine, pestilence, plagues of locusts, and all that jazz.
Back to the Bronze age for those left.

I exaggerate of course, but it's a far more likely catastrophe than a
large asteroid. However, if the timing were 'favorable' it might be
possible to spare (by shutting down) a fair portion of the electrical
grid, and thus what's connected to it...The GPS satellites, however, would
probably not fare as well.

Back to triple-A maps for those who remain...

--
Paul Theodoropoulos
www.anastrophe.com