Best practices question

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Wed Jun 26 10:08:50 UTC 2019

> > WWVB reception would be very dodgy here - I live about 30 miles from Dr.
> > Mills's digs in Delaware and while while that is mostly westward distance
> > it's not by enough. Too bad - if I thought I could get signal here I'dvbe
> > very tempted to do a Pi-based receiver build to complement my GPS-based one.
>
> Where are you located relative to industrial EMI pollution?
>
> If you are suburban or rural, it will probably work.  At least some of the
> time.
>
> It may be worth trying, just to get a data point.

Suburban.  The nearest source of serious EMI is probably Philadelphia,
25 miles east of here.  Hmmmm....

...not yet. You're not on IRC or Signal so you don't know; I've been hit
with some serious medical bills recently due to needing arthroscopic
surgery for a bone lesion in my ankle.  While I'm recovering quite
nicely, I'll want to repair the hole in my bank account before I
buy any toys.

On the other hand, 3.3v and an SIO interface shouldn't be difficult to
integrate with a Pi at all (as in, even a hardware duffer like me
could probably do it). And thanks to Jason Azze I have a couple
spare Pi3Bs on my shelf.

Goes on the longer-term to-do list.