Best practices question

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Jun 26 00:08:25 UTC 2019

> Is this a reasonable setup ...

Sure.  I expect it will mostly ignore the external servers - just use them for
sanity checking.

You are in a position to run some experiments.

How good is your network connection?  Plot the round trip time.  Maybe try a
server that is not nearby.  See if anything happens when you do a long
download.

You can try using the NMEA driver direct rather than going through GPSD.  Use
separate drivers for serial and PPS.  There is logic in there to give PPS
special treatment.

You can build a kernel with NoHz disabled so the in-kernel PPS processing will
work.  (I forget what the option is called.  I'll fish it out if you get that
far.)