ntpsec in chroot

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Jun 18 18:44:45 UTC 2018

udovdh at xs4all.nl said:
>> Jun 18 14:37:45 vuurmuur ntpd[7399]: DNS: dns_check:
>> DNS error: -11,  System error

> - What is happening here?
> - How can we fix the DNS error? Which library or whatever is  missing?

ntpd creates another thread to do the DNS lookup and it is getting an error
from getaddrinfo.

Unfortunately, that "System error" is all the information available.  I've
seen it from out of memory.

What sort of system are you running on?  What's in your ntp.conf?

Is ntpd getting started before your network is working?

udovdh at xs4all.nl said:
> - How can we filter this logging from the stream?

You can divert all but the first few messages to a separate log file with -l
on the command line or logfile in your ntp.conf