Problem with GPSD refclock

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Sat Jan 28 19:25:16 UTC 2017

Yo Rich!

On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 09:09:09 -0800
Rich Wales <richw at richw.org> wrote:

> Gary E. Miller wrote:
>
> > Sure, it will be stable, until you get some signal loss.  Then the
> > fun begins.  You are using mode 1, which avoids the really bad
> > aspects of mode 2.
>

> Understood.  This a fixed installation (in our home), and I have a
> clear view of 7+ GPS satellites all the time, so I've never had any
> problems with signal loss -- and when I decided to try moving to
> ntpsec, it was a no-brainer that I should use mode 1 for this
> refclock.  Other people's mileage may understandably vary.

I live on the edge of the FAA Warning Area for GPS testing in Nevada.
There have been instanes of GPS loss here due to testing.

There was a space storm a few weeks ago, mentioned in time-nuts.  Many
people, including myself, lost GPS time because of it.

Then of course you have start up transients.

Yes, probaably minor annoyances, but why not do it the best possible?
Just a config change.