Is python2 dead?

Hal Murray halmurray at sonic.net
Mon Sep 4 22:46:45 UTC 2023

> Rumours of its death are greatly exagerated.

Thanks.

Let me try again with maybe closer to what I should have asked?

Are there any distros that we currently run on that don't support python 3?

I can imagine some places are running really really old software.
  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
But would they be running ntpsec?
If their production software is still using python 2, will they have python 3
available?

Do any of our CI tests depend on python 2?

The option tester script will also run python 2 if it is available.
I don't know if/when that gets run.

> How much does it cost us to maintain python2 support in our own code?

Very little, I think.  But maybe that's because other people do all that work.

But it's nice to clean up unused junk if only to reduce clutter.