What's magic about /tmp/? ntpd can't find UNIX socket

Matthew Selsky Matthew.Selsky at twosigma.com
Thu Oct 19 04:46:56 UTC 2023

On Wed, Oct 18, 2023 at 09:37:06PM -0700, Hal Murray via devel wrote:

> I put the samba socket in /tmp/
> ntpd couldn't see it.  My test programs work fine.
>
> 18 Oct 20:52:00 ntpd[5671]: SIGND: can not connect socket
> '/tmp/fake-samba-socket/socket': No such file or directory
>
> What's magic about ntpd and /tmp/?
> I'm running on Fedora.
>
> It works when I move the socket to /home/murray/, but I was trying to keep my
> name out of it so somebody else could run my hacks without any edits.

Hi Hal,

Are you using selinux or something that would prevent access to /tmp?  You can disable selinux temporarily by following the directions at https://www.tecmint.com/disable-selinux-in-centos-rhel-fedora/

It could also be auditd and then something like "audit2why -a" might show you why auditd blocked the access.

Cheers,
-Matt