I/we need a lesson in git and/or gitlab and/or merge requests

Hal Murray halmurray at sonic.net
Sat Nov 11 10:17:15 UTC 2023

Merge requests seem reasonable if all goes well.  My work flow is roughly:
  download the patch  (URL plus ".patch")
  scan it
  maybe apply and test
  approve and merge

But things go downhill if I don't like something.  What I get from James is an
update to the MR, a patch to the patch.  That makes reading/checking the patch
harder and clutters up the git log.

What if I don't like the description of a patch?

Merge has an option to reduce all the patches to one.  But often that isn't
appropriate.

git works so well for most things.  I think I/we are missing something in the
workflow.

Should we be throwing away merges and making new ones rather than patching
them?

How do I backup a bunch of commits that turned into a MR so I can make them
better and try again?

I'm on a list or two where patches are distributed via email.  git has several
commands for that.  Iterations usually have a v1 v2 ... as part of the
Subject.  Often individual parts will be approved.  It's a lof of clutter in
the email stream but the discussion gets archived in email rather than hidden
over in a MR.

Is there a way in gitlab to approve only one of the patches rather than all of
them?  I think I could do that by downloading the patch which is several email
messages, editing out the one I want...  Again, if that was the right thing to
be doing, I'd expect git to support it which it probably does if you use their
email mode.