New Defects reported by Coverity Scan for ntpsec

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Tue Feb 7 21:39:12 UTC 2023

Yo Hal!

On Tue, 07 Feb 2023 13:20:38 -0800
Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> >> OK, I propose to turn on -Wswitch-enum and fix all the warnings I
> >> find.  Then I/we fix whatever Coverity complains about.  If that is
> >> too painful, we can back out of -Wswitch-enum.
> > Seems good to me.
>
> OK, I'll start working on it when I get time.

No rush, they've been there a while.

> > There are so many Coverity warnings about ntpd to worry about theat
> > no one will notice a few more or less.
>
> Any chance we can fix/annotate them all?

gpsd eventually crushed them all.  Once you get on a roll they are
mostly quick fixes.

> Is there a web page that describes the /* coverity(mumble) */ stuff?

No need, the "mumble" is the error you are blocking.  It will be in your
face when you look at that one issue.

> Can I add a comment in there too, like:
>   /* coverity(mumble)   we handle all the cases */
> Something like that might help somebody understand what's going on.

The coverity descriptions are good.  Use them.  Too many to study,just
look at the ones we trip.  The decriptions will pretty much match clang.

> > Where?  How would I see it?
>
> > The request was stuck in my spam folder.  Looks like someone beat
> > me to approving you.
>
> Thanks.  No mail yet.  I guess I'll have to go poke around.

Don't expect Coverity to nag you.