Release

Fred Wright fw at fwright.net
Mon Dec 18 04:17:23 UTC 2023

On Wed, 6 Dec 2023, Matthew Selsky via devel wrote:

> Sounds good. I'll aim to release ~15-Dec-2023.

Fortunately this hasn't happened yet. :-)

The main issue I've found is that the "struct var" in ntp_control.c, is
relying on anonymous unions, which are a relatively new language feature.
They were originally a GNU extension, eventually becoming official in C11.
But significantly increasing the compiler requirements just for one table
doesn't seem terribly desirable.

Turning the "p_" and "p2_" prefixes into names of the union instances
seems fairly reasonable (e.g., "p_time" becomes "p.time"), but would
require changing the initializers.  I'd be willing to look into that if
I'm not wasting my time.

There are also a bunch of warnings with some compilers, which might be
worth looking at.  They're often fairly easy to fix, and sometimes
indicate actual problems.

I also stumbled across something (which may not be new) where it appears
that if libaes_siv is installed as a system library, it's preferred over
the bundled version.  That probably doesn't change the actual behavior,
but may lead to opportunistic builds.

Fred Wright