More cookie keys

James Browning jamesb192 at jamesb192.com
Mon Dec 19 08:43:46 UTC 2022

> On 12/18/2022 6:02 PM PST Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:
>
> > The commit message for that is lacking the blank line after the summary
> > line. This means that some git tools treat the entire commit message as the
> > summary, creating obnoxiously long lines in their output. It's too late to
> > fix the existing commit message without a forced update, but it would be
> > good to avoid that in the future.
>
> Thanks for the heads-up.
>
> This seems like a bug in git. Is there a reason they haven't added a check
> for this?

I think it should go in a hook that gets called before the
commit happens.

> What is a forced update?
>
> Is there any way to delete commits from gitlab? If it were local, I could
> just nuke the top two and resubmit.

Well, no, but actually, yes. It involves locking,
unprotecting, and forced pushing, followed by re-protecting
and unlocking the 'master' branch of the remote repository.
Quite possibly with a side of garbage collecting
housekeeping/maintenance commands. IIRC.