NTS doesn't work with 1.1.8 shipped with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Thu Apr 7 19:10:49 UTC 2022

For clarity, the upcoming 22.04 LTS release has this fixed, as do the
currently-supported non-LTS releases. The ntpsec in 18.04 LTS does not
support NTS at all. So it's only 20.04 that is a problem.

I've been aware this is a problem, but literally nobody has complained
to me, so I haven't bothered to do anything about it. For work, I
backport NTPsec myself into our PPA (note: it has other unrelated
packages!):

https://launchpad.net/~wiktel/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+packages?field.name_filter=ntpsec&field.status_filter=published&field.series_filter=

I'll try to file an SRU [1] request for the NTS label thing. Since this
is in universe, it's not going to be a high priority for them.
Additionally, it's a backwards incompatible change, so that's
problematic. I think I'll leave the port number thing alone, as that can
be addressed in the config file, as you noted.

Is anyone here a paying customer? If so, once I file the public bug, you
could file a case under your support contract, which will motivate them
a lot more. I am a paying customer, but that might be a bad look for it
to come from me.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates

--
Richard