Using Go for NTPsec

Hal Murray halmurray at sonic.net
Wed Jun 30 02:57:07 UTC 2021

Eric said:
> That's quite exceptionally good.  It's normally hard to get to within an
> order of magnitude of that on a LAN, let alone a WAN.

Many years ago, we squeezed room for another digit in ntpq'a printout.  That
was the 4th fractional digit of delay, offset, and jitter where the units are
ms so people were interested in fractions of a microsecond.

The default setup ramps the polling interval up to 1024 seconds.  Things are
much better if you add a maxpoll.

There are 2 types of WAN.  Server to server where both servers are located in
data centers with good network connectivity is a lot different from a home to
server where home is running on a typical retail ISP.  (Some retail ISPs, or
some corners of some of them can be pretty bad.)  It makes a big difference if
you are watching a movie or zooming it to work.

Clock drift from self heating when the CPU does some work makes a big
difference.  It's easy to spot if you make graphs.