Objectives for the next year

Hal Murray halmurray at sonic.net
Fri Jun 18 12:39:34 UTC 2021

> I'll start the ball rolling with this big one:  It's time to move out of C.

I want to threadify things, and taking advantage of that, I want to run at
full wire speed on a gigabit link with a modest server class CPU.

I have test code running.  I'm pretty sure it will work.  But my test code is
in C.

Are other people happy with threads?

I think threadifying things will allow us to clean up the code a lot.  I think
that may be as important for writing safe/clean code as moving out of C.

> My choice for a language to move to would be Go.

The only other choice I've seen seriously mentioned is Rust.  How do they
compare for thread support and for CPU cycles?  Do they have full access to
all the options for network I/O?  (for example recv time stamps)

My first reaction is that I don't want reference counted stuff involved with
network I/O.  But maybe that is bogus.  It's roughy 5 microseconds for a
recv/send pair in C. We should write some test code so we can get some real
timing numbers.