Objectives for the next year

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Fri Jun 18 10:27:27 UTC 2021

Developers, please weigh in on what you think the NTPSec project's
goals for the next year ought to be. These goals can be coding
projects ("Move the Python code to Go") process goals ("Halve the size
of the issue list") or project infrastructure goals ("Build a hardware
lab so we can live-test supported clocks.")  Or anything else you
can think of.

These goals can be large or small. They can be old issues we haven't
afddressed well enough. For purposes of the document I'm trying to put
together, clear definition of a goal matters more than how anbitious
it is.

My only request is that you not argue priorities when you see other
peoples' suggestions in the replies - not yet.  The initial phase of
this discussion should be brainstorming.  At some point I'll summarize
the suggestions that seem viable (clearly enough defined, possible to
complete wityhin a year) and we can start rank orering.

I'll start the ball rolling with this big one:  It's time to move out of C.

C is a terrible implementation language for any project that wants to
bne secure and reliable, due to wild-pointer bugs.  Our client code,
being in Python, is memory-safe; the daemon code, the most crucial
part, is not.  Let's fix that.

My choice for a language to move to would be Go. Possibly one of you
can argue for a different choice, though if you agree that Go is a
suitable target I would find that information interesting.