discrete units

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Wed Jan 20 22:52:20 UTC 2021

On 1/20/21 4:24 PM, Hal Murray via devel wrote:
>> If you split the file it's a flag day for all users (no small matter when the
>> uservase is as conservative and risk-averse as ntpd's)

> We should be able to write a script to do the splitting.

It's a concern even beyond risk-aversion.

My production ntpd configs are written by Ansible. So even if there's a
script available, and even if the ntpsec package in Debian runs it by
default (e.g. I do that wearing my packager hat), I still need to modify
my Ansible configuration. And I'll likely end up needing to support
systems before and after the transition for a while, so that adds some
complexity.

By all means, change what needs to be changed. I'm NOT arguing against
changing the config. I just want to point out some consequences for users.

--
Richard