discrete units (header files)

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Jan 20 21:15:28 UTC 2021

Gary said:
>> I'd be happy to split the big header files, ntp.h and ntpd.h, into
>> chunks corresponding to a more modular structure.
> It made sense when using floppy disks to make .h files small.  BUt now I find
> it much easier to have large files.  So I dont have to 20 keep jumping from
> file to file.

I find it harder to keep things organized cleanly as they get larger.

Having one big header file also hides the modularity.  You can't even find the
modules that use a specific module by grepping for #include foo.h

It would be interesting to see how lump vs split on header files effects the
time for somebody to work on code, both when they are a seasoned developer as
well as a newbie.