Runtime testing, What's the CI environment like?

James Browning jamesb.fe80 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 15:12:48 UTC 2020

On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 3:59 PM Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:
> Can we run ntpd long enough to test the initialization and much of the other code?

Possibly, but to test some of the code paths (NTS) would take about a
day. Who wants to donate machine time for the runner?

> I'm thinking of something like start ntpd, wait a while, then kill it.  While it is running, we can also test ntpq.  The idea is to take advantage of the handful of environments that are readily available.

Might I also suggest running something like gpsd, ntplog* and ntpviz as well?

> Is our code running as root?  Is ntpd (or whatever) running?  If so, can we turn it off?

I think it runs as root. By default I seem to recall reading that is
is a Google compute instance so maybe? No, I don't think we could turn
it off if it is.

> I got a message from gitlab today about limiting/charging for CI time.  Is that CPU seconds or wall-clock seconds?

Hence the sugestion for people to provide compute time. I do not know
which, I _assume_ wall clock time.

> Should we make a list of OS/distro/version known to work?

Linux distros work, macOS some versions work, FreeBSD yes, NetBSD
sorta, MS no, and everyone else can check.

> And another for refclocks?

All refclocks are beleived to work.