Python support policy

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Fri Sep 4 06:06:48 UTC 2020

Yo Richard!

On Fri, 4 Sep 2020 01:00:34 -0500
Richard Laager via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> [Reposting to list.]
>
> On 9/3/20 11:15 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
> > The case you left out:
> >
> > # select 2.7
> > spidey ~ #      python3 --version
> > Python 3.8.5
> >
> > Uh, oh.  That is why we do not do that.
>
> No, that is exactly as intended. The context here is that we want to
> require Python 3.

Once again: what you mean "we" white man?

> I understand you disagree on whether we should
> require Python 3, but if we do, then this shebang works fine.

And since I do not, it doe not.  Why do we keep going in the same circle?
Why the hate for Python 2?  Supporting it is trivial.  Let the distros
stop supporting Python 2 before we do.  When distros support Python 2, we
need to support Python 2.

This converstation taking more time than Python 2 support takes.  Please
stop wasting bytes.