Python support policy

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Thu Sep 3 00:54:37 UTC 2020

Yo Eric!

On Wed, 2 Sep 2020 20:51:45 -0400
"Eric S. Raymond via devel" <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> Richard Laager via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:
> > Let me start over now that I've reviewed the specifics of the NTPsec
> > scripts and build system again:
> >
> > We are currently using "#!/usr/bin/env python" in all the scripts,
> > and waf uses the same. The minimum to do to drop Python 2 is:
> >
> > 1. Change waf's shebang:
> >      -#!/usr/bin/env python
> >      +#!/usr/bin/env python3
> >
> >    That way, on systems where python is Python 2, waf will get
> > Python 3. While there is a lot of baggage around whether "python"
> > is Python 2, Python 3, or neither (i.e. doesn't exist), python3
> > existing is pretty universal. [Discussion 1]
> >
> > 2. Change the other scripts the same way.
> >
> > 3. Update the docs and CI accordingly.
>
> I'm in favor of this simple, brute-force approach.
>
> If nobody comes up with a good argument for retaining Python 2

A big one: RHEL.  As I said earlier, any time Python 2 breaks in gpsd
it only takes a day or two for complaints.  I have customers that will
be on RHEL for years to come.  They need NTPsec.

> > Option B is a little bit more work, but keeps the scripts directly
> > executable from the source tree, which could be helpful for
> > development. (The other substitutions aren't typically critical, as
> > they are things like @NTPSEC_VERSION_EXTENDED at .) Is this something
> > people care about?
>
> I don't want to go down this road.  I have ugly memories associated
> with a smiliar hack in gpsd, long ago.

But what about how it works now?  All the maintainers like it.

> >    python3 exists on Debian and derivatives as well as RedHat and
> >    derivatives. Ubuntu 20.04 optionally allows python to point to
> >    python3, but always still has python3. I use Debian, Ubuntu, and
> >    RedHat, so I have personal knowledge here.
>
> Yes.  To the best of my knowledge every current Unix-like thing
> does right with python3 in the shebang line.  That makes hacking those
> shebangs as unnecessary as it would be hazardous.

All proposals so far break Gentoo, and its derivatives.  Plus Windows,
should that port ever work again.   Except for the shebang substitution.

That is also hazxardous.